Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inaugural Blogural


Roused myself from bed at 9:30 (thank you MST and unemployment!) to watch Obama's inauguration. It was all well and uplifting but I was hoping for some more zazz. No "ask not what your country can do for you..." or "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." Not even a "Yes we can"? Where's Will i. Am when you need him? I heard awhile back that the Obama team was downplaying the word magic because certain candidates accused him of being all talk. So, no zazz, thanks very much Hill C and John Mc.

However, the preacher after him who gave the benediction was awesome. I want you to picture a 200 year old man with the jowls of a Saint Bernard and a barely understandable voice. Dr. Joseph Lowry provided all the zazz that Obama sadly missed, including this gem (rough paraphrase): "if you're black, don't be held back. If you're brown, stick around. If your red, you can get ahead. If you're yellow you can be mellow. If you're white, do what's right."

Just then the camera cut to some young Asian women giving each other the "WTF?" look and laughing hysterically. Rhyming is all well and good, but really? Mellow yellow? Was he referencing the song or the soda?

In less national news, I am visiting my parents (yay!) and Ryan is on a business trip in Canada (boo!). Yes we are joined at the hip and even though he's away for less than a week I am throwing myself an immense pity party including cheap wine and Etta James. But my good friend Rachel is dragging me out of the house to go to the local Elk's Club "Inaugural Ball." I'm sure it will be very classy, updates to follow.

No comments: