Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Hunt is On

Well, still looking for a job. I attended a 2nd trial day with the crazy family and attempted to appear enthused about washing the child on the bidet and cooking her an entire chicken leg while I wasn't allowed to have a snack. (Most employers in the nanny world will offer the one-time "There's the fridge, help yourself"). Apparently I was meant to eat my packed lunch quietly as the child napped, while ironing the family's clothes.

To add insult to injury, I wasn't even hired! I can't say that I particularly wanted to work for them, but the money would have been nice. Did she catch an unintentional eye roll when she brought up the Evian? Who can say. So I am still looking. I interviewed with a very nice family last Wednesday that are more relaxed about things. I would like to work for them, but they are concerned that we don't know where we will be come December.

Ryan and I are very torn about all this. We do miss our families, and certain aspects of American life; but we also really like Europe. Munich is a really cool town, and I imagine if we learned some German it would be even better. Also, I would like to live in France. There are so many places I want to see and so many potential paths our life could take. And I enjoy dwelling on those possibilities more than deciding things.

But, naturally, employers don't share this excitement. And looking at my scattered resume (4 jobs in the last year) I realize there will come a threshold when potential employers will look at my resume, realize I'm a nomad and no one will hire me. So, after Ryan graduates this December, we will have to "settle down" somewhere for at least a few years. But where?

No comments: